Harborough site

Wednesday, 26-Jun-2019
Home>Housing Options Advice>Mutual Exchange

Mutual Exchange

Joining the Mutual Exchange Register

Are you a secure/assured tenant of a Council or Housing Association looking for a move?  If you are, have you considered registering for an exchange?  A mutual exchange is where you "swap" your home with another tenant subject to all landlords approving the exchange.  This is a housing option which could enable you to move more quickly than looking for a transfer through the housing register. 

How do I register my details?

You must be on the Leicestershire Sub-regional Housing Register, (unless you are a tenant of Seven Locks Housing in which case you must register with Homesdirect, www.homesdirect.org.uk for a mutual exchange with Harborough Home Search).  Tenants of all other Landlords will  need to complete a mutual exchange form on the Harborough Home Search website.  To do this you will need to log onto the system using your unique reference number and memorable date and then click on "My Mutual Exchange", complete the form and submit it to us.  Once we have received your completed form, your details will be added on our website.  As an added feature, you can provide photographs of the inside and outside of your property.  You may email digital photographs to us at hhs@harborough.gov.uk and we will add these onto our website.

Who can I exchange with?

Another tenant of any other Council or Housing Association in any area.  If you do not live in one of the seven districts within the Leicestershire sub-region or you want to move out of the area, you could register with www.houseexchange.org.uk or www.homeswapper.co.uk. If your landlord is a Home Swapper partner the service is free.  If your landlord is not a partner of Home Swapper there is a small charge; see their website for more details.

Whose details are displayed on the website?

All Transfer Home Seekers who have completed a Mutual Exchange Form who are tenants within the Leicestershire sub-region and who want to remain living within the sub-region.

What should I do next?

Once you have found a property you are interested in moving to you can make contact with the tenant direct to arrange a mutually convenient time to view.  Once you have found a tenant to exchange properties with, you must notify your landlord and seek their approval.  They may wish to carry out some checks before advising you whether the proposed mutual exchange is accepted or refused.  You should receive written confirmation of the approval from your landlord before you start to make any arrangements to move.  Be aware that if you move without the landlord's permission you could be asked to move back, and the landlord could take legal action if you do not comply.  The landlord will also ask you to complete a deed of assignment to complete the exchange.

Site powered by Abritas  |  Cookie policy